With Christmas over and the rain seemingly never ending, we’re all feeling the January blues so we thought we’d cheer ourselves up by making some ‘liquid sunshine’ to put in some of our special glass bottles. For this Limoncello recipe you’ll need a few of our fab glass bottles for sale in our shop, and a bit of patience…but all good things come to those who wait!
1 Litre of vodka
600g caster sugar
1. Zest the lemons, and transfer the zest into a glass container.
2. Pour the vodka over the zest. Cover loosely and leave for one week at room temperature to allow the zest to infuse.
3. After one week, place the sugar and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Resist the temptation to stir! Boil for 15 minutes then take off the heat and allow the syrup to cool to room temperature.
4. Stir the vodka mixture into the syrup before straining into glass bottles. We think this one would look great and comes with a cork. Seal and let the mixture stand for 2 weeks at room temperature.
5. Before serving to some lucky friends, put the bottles into the freezer and, when icy cold, serve in chilled shot glasses.
And the good news for people who’ve made new year’s resolutions to eat healthy…lemons count towards your 5 a day right?!